Tips for Removing Mold
Gold Coast Flood Restorations are experts in repairing water damage and mold remediation. If you have had water damage in your home it is very likely that you have a mold problem. Mold often is hidden from view because it is under carpets or flooring or is hidden in your walls or behind counters. We highly recommend that you hire a professional for water damage cleanup and removing mold.
By: Joe Cuhaj
Mold is all around us and in every breath we take. It plays an important role in the natural process of decay and is used to make everything from cheese to penicillin. If allowed to grow unchecked inside your home, however, mold can result in damage to both the structure and your health.
Exposure to most mold usually only causes minor allergic reactions—such as sniffling, watery eyes, and sneezing—that subside a few hours after leaving the infected area. Some people are more sensitive than others and may experience a stronger reaction that can include difficulty breathing and asthma attacks.
Several types of mold release toxic substances called mycotoxins. Exposure to high concentrations of mycotoxins from Stachybotrys (a greenish-black green mold that grows on cellulose material such as wallpaper, cardboard, and wallboard) or Chaetomium (a white to gray colored mold found on decaying wood and water damaged drywall) may lead to more severe health issues including chronic bronchitis, heart problems, and bleeding lungs.
There is still an ongoing debate in the scientific and medical community about the health effects of this so called “toxic” mold.
Since mold loves moisture, it’s important to remove the source of water to prevent it from returning.
Potential problem areas to address to keep mold at bay include:
- Vent Gas Appliances: Make sure gas and kerosene heaters and fireplaces are properly vented to the outside to reduce the amount of moisture in the air.Read more at TodaysHomeowner.com